torstai 3. helmikuuta 2011

I'm not dead, just playing ukulele.

About a month ago, I bought an ukulele and decided to learn to play it. I can strum a bit now, but there's a lot to learn still. The playing and work have kept me away from drawing the past few days, though.

I have tried to take some photos as I walk around town, with an eye to interesing light and structure. Reference for painting practice. Reference is important, not just because it teaches you what the dynamics of light in the real world are, but also helps understand what details are important in describing a scene and which can be left out. It's also easier to remember what the defining features of a specific style of architecture are if you've drawn it a few times, and drawing from reference simply helps build up a mental library of things you can put in your drawings so they're not so generic all the time.

So with that in mind, I painted something from photo reference today. This is actually attempt #2, as mypaint crashed on me shortly after I finished the structural sketch for the first one... The first one wasn't as wonky, I kind of didn't have the patience to draw it with as much discipline the second time.

I like painting without blending much. It helps keep the structure of what I'm painting in mind instead of relying on just making a big mess and hoping something resembling what I want comes out.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti